A synthetic lens that is used to correct vision problems such as farsightedness, short shortsightedness and astigmatism; it sits on the surface of the eye.
They are categorized into: -
- Soft contact lenses: Soft, flexible and water absorbent that fits the eye shape
They are disposable and has a life span of either one day, 2-weeks or one month
Soft contacts can also be found for an extended wear.
- Hard contact lenses: Made of a rigid gas-permeable plastic that cover only part of the cornea.They are recommended for irregular corneas and keratoconus patients.
Advantages of contact lenses
- They give you more natural vision than glasses
- They rotate with the eye which limits vision blockage i.e. peripheral vision
- In case of rain, they don’t fog or get wet
Disadvantages of contact lenses
- Poor hygiene will lead to eye infections
- Doesn’t fit those with high astigmatic prescriptions since the vision always gets blurry when the lenses rotate on the surface of the eyes
- People having difficulty to read closer objects will have to use reading glasses to assist in near work